TESL 0160: Unit 3 - Classroom Etiquette - What is My Job?

As part of our final week of study in TESL 0160, we were asked to draft ideas around how to appropriately negotiate or establish the rules of classroom etiquette.  When I did the Community Task assignment, I talked about this idea with the person I was interviewing and her idea was around everyone ensuring that we all know what our "jobs" are in the class.  Her thought process was that this helps to define the roles each play and the limitations that might be established in a correct understanding of the chain of command.  Plainly written, the idea is that the students are not constantly going around the teacher to another "authority".  

As a result, the context of the last assignment and this discussion post are largely focused on the impact of establishing classroom etiquette expectations for everyone.  I wanted to share this discussion in order to retain this information outside the scope of the classroom notes which will be lost when the class is over.  It did not occur to me that I could do this until the previous class I was in, and now I wish I had thought of it sooner, so that I could add additional thoughts to this blog for later reference.

Regardless, I have included this information to reflect on how I might engage in the process as a teacher, and to have ideas to begin a class discussion.

Here is my post and the graphic I made for it:

If you have the opportunity to negotiate classroom expectations with the class at the beginning of the classes, it's a great introductory activity to do with any level of class.  I've had one teacher that spent considerable time on this with a class I was in (at a University - Continuing Education level).  We took most of a morning to do this - it was both for our benefit as learners and developing teachers in an adult world.

I used Venngage to create this infographic on "What is my Job?", but I imagine it being a classroom activity that is addressed early on, and then created together, and ratified as a group.  It could very well be incomplete, but it's also Ok to add to it as new ideas come up that support what the group would like the classroom culture to reflect. 


The context I have in mind is a workplace language class - approximate CLB 4-6 - multi-cultural.

Following the original post, I realized that in a workplace class, it might also be useful to consider the employer expectations and ensure that there are no misconceptions around what the employer wants and what that means for the learners in the class. 

-----

I think this is likely to be my last post for the program.  What a journey!  I will be honest and say that it has not been easy, but then things worth doing seldom are.  I do believe that I have learned and processed ideas and I look forward to spending some time in the classroom for my practicum, and seeing where this knowledge leads me.  I like knowing things.  Now it is time to practice what I know.

Cheers to being finished!

Thanks for reading,

Dana

Comments

Popular Posts