TESL 0160: Unit 1 - So Many Factors - Cultural Context in Teaching

This is my last course in the TESL program before I begin the practicum.  The focus of this course is transitioning to the classroom and as with all other courses, it will be interesting to think through the ramifications of what that means in an ESL class.  I work with newcomers regularly and I have (in my ignorance) tried to ensure that my content is appropriate, but I also realize that it is often based on Canadian Workplace culture.

It is not lost on me that at work right now, I am working on developing an online workshop on "Culture and Communication" for our learning management system in order to provide on-demand access to workshops that are in a series call "World of Work".  These are to support employability skills and soft skills development of staff.  The first one that I created was on "Time Management" and I hope to focus on "Adaptability and Flexibility" next.  All these contain cultural nuances that may be new to some of our international staff or even some who come from other demographics within Canadian Society that are not used to a production mentality in a manufacturing facility.

When I think of the cultural load of these workshops, I know that there are concepts around time that some relational cultures will not grasp immediately, but are part of a production-based environment.  It would be negligent of me to overlook these concepts, even while I realize that they will be new cultural content to some.  In fact, I feel it is a necessity to ensure that I do cover these concepts because if I do not do that, I am potentially setting people up to fail by not disclosing key ideas that pertain to working in a Canadian workplace.

I will admit that I am concerned about using or developing resources that are appropriate for the class in which I teach in the future, however I am also aware that the TESL world is very supportive and I have a great PLN that is there to help me and can provide good feedback around the appropriateness of materials.  I think it is actually a good thing that I consider carefully what should be used to support learning in the classroom, as it makes me aware of potential dynamics that might be a class outcome.

Last spring I facilitated a series of workshops around accessibility (due to new legislation) and an outcome was a conversation around effective communication across cultures that can make things difficult to understand and compromise good customer service.  It was a great opportunity to discuss how different people see Western idioms and how to help others navigate a world of language they do not know.  I share this to remind myself that I have done this before.  I have managed classroom dynamics where cultures do not understand each other and where unclear communication is a barrier.  This is not a new issue for me to deal with, though the ESL context is a new context.

One of the things we hope for as a teacher is that we will be able to support the development of transferable skills in our learners.  I need to remember that I have transferable skills as well and that this is a good base for supporting ESL learning, cultural load in activities, appropriateness and doing it in a positive way.

Whew - I think I have talked myself into a little more confidence than perhaps I started the week with!

I look forward to the rest of the course and the development of ideas that will support my transition to the classroom.

Comments

Popular Posts