TESL 0160: Unit 1 - Cultural Load and Awareness

As part of Unit 1 in Transitioning to the Classroom we are asked to reflect on cultural awareness, better termed as cultural intelligence.  I wanted to share part of one of my posts so that I can keep the thoughts in an accessible place after the course is over.
Here are a few of those thoughts:
Biases & Assumptions/Handling Taboo Subjects
I think that I'm aware of some of my biases and I believe that some of them have changed as my own experiences have changed.  I have come to learn that everyone has a story and that it's not only those who are refugees that have come from trauma based experiences.  This is a newer concept to me but I have repeatedly seen that those who are newcomers who have come as economic immigrants also have some horrific stories of why they chose to come to Canada, and have trauma history too.  It's been eye-opening to understand that regardless of previous circumstances, so many of the newcomers really fit into the article that refers to victims of torture.
I think we can prepare by being aware of what we do know, and be aware of our ignorance.  It's Ok to admit or say that we didn't know something or that we have learned.  One of my biggest fears is that I won't recognize before I've crossed a line that I shouldn't cross and I'll hurt someone in a class.  Being sensitive to the ongoing dynamics will be important but I think we'll also have to forgive ourselves from time to time, because we just won't always get it "right".
In the first article Adopting an Intercultural Approach...", we read "There are those who wish to learn the language and basic knowledge of the target-language culture without accepting or necessarily identifying with it. These individuals take an intercultural approach to language learning. Then there are those who wish to learn the language while simultaneously incorporating, internalizing, and acclimating to the target culture. These individuals take a bicultural approach to language learning." 
In order to support language acquisition without negatively impacting personal cultural beliefs of students, adopting the intercultural approach to teaching will help to ensure that certain topics and concepts are not subjected to opinion or debate, but to discovery through facts and information.  If students feel that they need to defend their culture or personal values or beliefs, then they will struggle more to learn.  Knowing that their values are held in esteem by the teacher will turn many potential issues into non-issues and the focus can be on learning the language.
Preparation for Teaching in ESL Contexts/Personal Experiences that Support Teaching in ESL
My personal life experiences that support my transition to a teacher in a multi-cultural ESL class include:
  • Moving when I was 5, then 6, and again at 10. 
  • Moving from a small town to a city, then another city, then back to a small town.   Moving was hard for me.
  • Moving from a multicultural school to a mostly homogeneous school.  The city school I attended was multi-cultural and I can't remember any issues specifically among students.  Moving to a small school in small town where there were mostly the same type of people, but one group was regularly looked down upon and in some cases I'm aware that has negatively affected those people into adulthood.
  • Learning how the power dynamics work in a small town - who you can talk to, which clothes you should be wearing, whose wealthy and who's not (we weren't!) and what that does to your social status and opportunities.  I didn't notice these things so much in the big city because you didn't interact with the same people in all environments.
  • Watching our children grow up with students with disabilities mainstreamed in classes - that didn't happen when I was in school.  It significantly impacted me to watch them accept their "differently-abled" peers, and for us to have deep conversations about accepting people for who they are and including them regardless of factors that made them "different". 
  • Openly discussing disabilities that family members have and normalizing "different" for our family.
  • All these things play a part in working with other cultures and normalizing what might look or feel different.  I think they've also built some compassion in me for those who have to move, and how hard the transition is.  I don't pretend to know their story, but I think I can sympathize with some of the feelings.
  • At work - I have heard stories about not being able to find work when you're over 35 cause you're too old; people who have worked abroad and been treated like animals, etc.
All these things support a heart that wants to help people be successful, feel safe and valued.  At various times, I do a values exercise for my work and it doesn't matter who I talk to - seasoned employees, grade 9 students, newcomers who are economic immigrants or refugees, college students - all have pretty much the same things they care most about.  That exercise teaches me over and over again that we're more the same than we are different and I think that also helps to prepare me for the classroom.
Other Reactions
Most of the other things I found interesting were from the article from the Canadian Centre for Victims of Torture (see reference and link below)
  • I found it interesting to suggest that class times could be adjusted to afternoon to support those who have difficulty sleeping due to trauma.
  • Creating photo collages of families to depersonalize family related trauma but still address the topics.  Providing realia (scarves, hats, cane, etc) to support family roles and giving active roles.
  • Understanding crucial words to support seeking medical help.  (Last year I had a converstion with some ESL students to let them know when they should stay home from class if they're not feeling well using some of these words suggested (vomitting, diarrhea, fever, etc)  I've also had to learn some of the language that others use to describe conditions and direct them to get medical support.
  • Teaching about the body as a whole and not in parts
  • I liked the Thank you Board idea and the Skills Exchange Idea - that could be very useful!
  • Adjust expectations - help others adjust their expectations and set boundaries where needed so that safety is supported
References
Canadian Centre for Victims of Torture. (n.d.). CCVT strategies for promoting a positive atmosphere in the language and skills training classroom. Retrieved from   http://www.teslwindsor.com/uploads/7/8/1/7/7817983/ccvt_strategies_for_promoting_a_positive_atmosphere.docx_pdf_2_windsor_apr_15_2016.pd
Jenkins, S. (2008). Adopting an intercultural approach to teaching English as an international language. Essential Teacher 5(4), 19-21.  Retrieved from   https://www.researchgate.net/publication/258242671_Adopting_an_intercultural_approach_to_teaching_English_as_an_international_language

Comments

Popular Posts