TESL 0160: Unit 2 - Reflections

So, here we are after week two of Transitioning to the Classroom.  When I registered for this course, I thought that three weeks was perfect and manageable for a summer course.  What I did not consider is that the PLN I reach out to is on holidays and so my ability to do research and interviews has been compromised by the time of year.  It has been interesting to feel like I have reduced access to information that is relevant to the effort I am making in relation to the outcomes of this course.

I also did not anticipate that the schedule of life would be a more significant factor in these weeks than it has turned out to be.  Plainly, I am just much busier than I anticipated - work, home life, people I care about, events that cannot be avoided or postponed.

I like my learning to be practical and so while I consider these circumstances and try to monitor my frustration and stress level, I do try to consider how my feelings might apply, or be similar to, a learner in a class.

It feels like this:  A PILE OF WORK!

Files Paper Office - Free photo on Pixabay

I share this "with tongue in cheek", but also know that learning can be overwhelming and sometimes acknowledging that helps to alleviate the stress as things continue to build.

Overall, it has been a good experience, but it is also a good reminder that those who are in my classes have a LIFE outside of class that ebbs and flows daily and will have similar complications, time constraints, issues, and pressures that I have and may have additional situations that complicate things for them.

In class, we have been learning about the importance of cultural intelligence and the influence that has over class dynamics.  We may not directly see, know about, or understand everything that has developed our learners into who they are, but it will all influence the class dynamics.  In order to support our learners, we must be able to identify the "PILE OF WORK" that they have in their lives, even if they are unable to articulate it effectively and continue provide support toward learning.

The classes I take are always good growing time for me to remember what it is like to be a learner.  As I consider my transition to the classroom, beginning with the practicum this fall, this will be a good memory for me.  It creates empathy, and it also shows me that we are often capable of more than we thought.  Both good to grasp as I move out into the classroom.


Image sourced from free images on Pixabay - image address below:
https://cdn.pixabay.com/photo/2016/08/23/12/37/files-1614223_960_720.jpg  



Comments

Popular Posts