TESL 0150: Unit 3 - Principles, Principles, Principles

Most of Unit 3 in this TESL module is around principles that influence how we adapt materials or resources for teaching.  When I thought about what to write for this blog post, I kept coming back to what I already wrote for one of our discussions in the course, so I'm going to use portions of that for this post.

.....

In order to build a framework for myself to think from, I went back to my own learning in adult learning theory and started there.  While this may not be a complete list of guiding principles for me, I believe it is a list that is meaningful for me and helps to provide guidance when looking at resources - this can be applicable to an L2 class or even workshop development.

The following principles are important to me:
Adult Learning Principles
Language Acquisition/Materials Development
Teaching Principles
Learning should be/provide:
Should include:
Should include:
  • Meaningful
  • Spoken texts
  • Real language use
  • Relevant
  • Written texts
  • Not scripted
  • Opportunity for active learning
  • Typical use of language
  • Fluency (development vs acquisition)
  • Opportunity for self directed
  • Context for real life
  • Use higher level skills (inner speech, making connections/etc
  • Options
  • Multiple Samples to work with
  • Materials support assessment
  • A positive experience (overall)
  • Affective engagement
  • Develop maturity in language
  • Interesting
  • Cognitive engagement
  • Personalize/localize materials
  • An opportunity to share knowledge
  • Processing – thinking/feeling before/during/after


  • Achievable for the learner


  • Think/verbalize in L2


  • Provide feedback options


  • Develop Communication

When I engage in reviewing materials for learning opportunities, I am focusing on a few things:
  • Do the materials in this lesson provide opportunities to learn typical language for the learner? (could be in the L2 or could be topically specific for a workshop)
  • Are there opportunities to engage higher level thinking? (making connections to their life, or their family/neighbors)
  • Are there texts that support the topic of the lesson?  Are they readable?
  • Does the lesson positively impact the learner's ability to communicate more effectively about this topic?

I think if I can answer these questions, then many of the principles list above are in some way impacted/addressed.

While I am connecting this to my current learning path, I am also currently engaged in developing a training program for a specific department at work and I think this same list of principles will be useful throughout that process too.

The process this week has been helpful in developing my understanding more holistically when I think about materials adaptation or development.  That is useful to me - and that is, after all, one of the things that is important for adult learning!

References

Richards, J. C. (2010). English Language Teaching Materials. Theory and Practice. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.


Tomlinson, B. (Ed.). (2013). Developing materials for language teaching. United Kingdom: Bloomsbury Academic.

Comments

Popular Posts