TESL 0170 - Practicum - Personal Reflection

As my TESL journey comes to an end, I wanted to take a few minutes for myself to reflect on my learning journey.  When I started I did not know how long it would take to complete the program and was not fully convinced that completion was the goal.  Learning was the goal.  As I struggled though the sheer volume of content I have at times struggled significantly and have considered withdrawal from some courses.  By the time I considered that in most cases, I felt I should keep pushing through as it would have been a waste to give up on the effort and achievement to that point.  At times I have struggled to manage work, life, family, and university integration.  I can honestly say that this program has stretched me - definitely bending, at times close to breaking.  Some of that is due to other life factors that were occurring simultaneously, but regardless I am proud of myself, my commitment to keep going and the final outcomes thus far.  The diagram below is one that I created to show how I feel about my learning journey.  While it does not capture the fullness of the journey it does highlight certain facets that I believe support my effort toward achievement.

Reading from the bottom up you will see that my journey begins with motivation - both internal and external.  I wanted to embrace the opportunity and it was supported and encouraged by my manager in my workplace.  Regardless of the support and encouragement I received, it was still my choice to engage in the process.  Once engaged in the process, my goal was to contribute meaningfully to both my and others' learning, leading to a focus on evaluation - personally and professionally - of the concepts related to ESL teaching.  There are many factors that are related and at times I needed adjust my preconceived notions, expectations and cultural lens.  Achievement is not a culmination of the program, but rather part of the journey and as the circular arrows redirect one concept to another, so my path often circled back all the way back down to motivation and then back up through the path.




Assuming that I graduate from the program, it will be a measured achievement.  But, as I move forward with these new skills, practice, reflection and learned understandings, I expect that this circular model of learning will continue to be active.  The circular loops are not closed - neither is my ESL learning journey closed.

It feels like an apt representation and helps me to continue considering how my path as shifted, moved, and adapted.  It is also a reminder that just because this part of my journey is coming to a conclusion, the journey itself continues.

In the end, I am pleased that I completed the program, and am validated that the effort to do so had meaning.

Congratulations to me!

Dana


 



Comments

Popular Posts