TESL 0170: Assignment 1 - Practicum Observation Journal & Report

Here we are!  It is the final TESL class of the program.  I have been working through the program since September 2017.  When I started, I did not know where I was headed with the program, and perhaps I am still not exactly sure, but I know that I have learned many things that I already employ at work.  I look forward to gaining the classroom experience that will round out this opportunity that I have had.  I am very fortunate to have had employer support for this endeavor, though the time and effort has been my responsibility.  There is no magical secret behind learning - at least not for me.  It has been hard work, sacrifice, frustration, and anticipation, sprinkled with successes and difficulties throughout.  At times I have had difficulty translating what I learn into the work I produce for the class.  It has seemed that the conversion ratio of understanding to application in "real life" has been frustratingly slow at times.  In spite of that, I have both enjoyed looking back at how far I have come and looking forward to wondering what comes next for me.  I have valued the feedback from classmates and teachers alike, and have likewise valued the relationships that I have made in the TESL world that so freely share ideas and resources.  Many have regarded learning as a journey, and I would certainly say that is true for me.  All of this is a good reminder for me as I now move to being the teacher instead of the student.  Learning is hard, but worth the effort.  Now part of my goals are to convey that to the learners in my classes to keep us all motivated.  While the learning is different the struggle and emotions are similar.  Simply put... I understand.  At least in part.

The last few weeks have been busy!  It has been interesting (and fun) to observe the English class that is the focus of my practicum.  Certainly, it has been a highlight of each week for the past four weeks since the classes started for the fall term.  Despite being tired from long shifts for some of them and having to deal with extra cleaning and sanitizing protocols due to COVID-19 guidelines, the learners retain good energy and engagement during the three hour evening classes.

The observation journal template provided as part of the observation assignment was very useful to focus attention on important areas of the classroom teaching.  The teacher is also very willing to discuss and allow questions by email, in person during the class break, or after class.  She is a calm and positive force in the classroom and it has been a humbling experience to watch her with the students.  In watching the learners, I can see that they trust their teacher and that they are not worried about asking questions or seek help.  

I am happy to share my detailed observations and the resulting report.  What a great experience!

Dana Bergman - TESL Practicum Observation Report & Journal

Wishing us all success as we navigate these times and our practicums!

Comments

Popular Posts