TESL 0140: Assignment 3 - Learning Plan Reflection


TESL 0140 Assignment #3 – Personal Learning Plan Reflection

When I drafted my learning plan at the beginning of the module, the intent was that it be detailed enough to be validated or measurable in several specific outcomes that I chose based on the course learning outcome, and that it would be realistic.  I added some stretch goals to ensure that I would allow myself to be pushed beyond that which is comfortable while still ensuring that I maintain appropriate work-life-school integration.  Overall, I am satisfied with my progress to this point, knowing that I do not have the results of this reflection and one other assignment when this is handed in, and those specific outcomes in the learning plan will not be able to be measured at this time.

Reflection on Specific Outcomes

Goal 1: To become more familiar with relevant vocabulary. 

I have a greater grasp of the various types of assessments, and how and when they might be used in a classroom.  I did find that the achievement level and demonstration of this has not happened in positive outcomes in the unit quizzes as I anticipated.  I struggled more than I anticipated with the questions and the reasoning behind the answers.  Through discussion with other learners in the class, I believe I am not alone in my struggle, but overall this was a disappointing outcome for me.  Having said that, I still believe that I have a greater grasp of the vocabulary surrounding the concepts of assessment and evaluation and particularly appreciate the last module discussion on holistic and analytic rubrics.  That was positive for me and I believe I can apply that knowledge immediately in my current work.  I appreciate opportunities to transfer my learning which helps to reinforce the concepts I am working to assimilate into my current experience.

Goal 2, 3 & 5: Active engagement in discussion; Give myself learning opportunities; Be faithful with regular check-ins online for feedback and to give feedback

My activity in the online course is easily measured through the course user progress feature.  As of the writing of this reflection, I have logged into the course 61 times and been active 27 days in the course.  I have actively participated in discussion posts generated by myself and others, and created new posts that ask questions, seek clarification, and admit to struggles I have faced in understanding the content and/or directions.  I have spent eight to ten hours per week on the course to read, engage, discuss, think, respond, post, research, watch, and listen.

Goal 4: Take opportunity to share relevant knowledge that might help others

It’s not unusual for me to respond to discussion boards early in each week as the structure of my life requires that I can spend only a designated amount of time each day and week in the course content in order to ensure that other responsibilities are being met.  This class has been smaller than most of the classes I have participated in and there is a little less feedback than I am used to, however I have found it much easier to connect with the other learners and have appreciated their feedback on my ideas.  My goal is to use personal experience where I cannot use classroom experience to share ideas and bring understanding and share resources where I have them available.  I have done that through sharing about specific resources such as the web link to New Journey Housing, discussion around the Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters Reading, Writing and Math Skills Assessment, and being willing to address and challenge ideas when there are gaps, perceived gaps, or I have not understood the content.

Goal 6: Complete the required assignments

I fully anticipate being able to complete the required assignments, however the outcomes will be available following the completion of this assignment, and success level will not be available to validate satisfactory final grade outcomes at the time of this submission.  In my learning plan, I indicated that part of the way that I would validate the learning is that I would use appropriate tools at my disposal and I feel I have been much more effective at using the CLB resources to understand how to develop materials for assessment and evaluation.  It has been more than two years since I took the Fundamentals course, and even then, there is so much information, that there is not a strong focus on the Canadian Language Benchmarks and how to interpret and use the information that the documents provide.  In knowing how to read and understand this information, I have found myself more intrigued by how I will plan and prepare lessons and resources.  I believe it would be valuable to add some specific content around CLB and LINC within the TESL programming so that TESL teachers-in-development can learn more about the contexts and how to use the tools, regardless of their final classroom destination.

Other thoughts:

Several times in the past four weeks I have been excited to understand ideas in a broader context than I have before.  I have developed a greater understanding of how to use portfolios as a tool for assessment and evaluation, and as mentioned earlier, I really enjoyed learning about rubric development in unit four.  When my learning is personal and applicable, I feel a greater sense of accomplishment and feel that I have a reasonable expectation that I can be a good teacher.  At the end of this program, it is my hope that I will be able to help others become better at functional living.  There are so many people in our communities that are still struggling with the basics of functional living and my goal is to be a positive support in moving people to higher levels of function within society (think Maslow's Hierarchy).  I like to be good at what I do, and I like knowing “stuff”.  Learning is regularly hard for me and so I have tried to describe my learning process for the TESL modules with a graphic I have included below.  I chose a circle that is mostly continuous, but indicates a pause between knowing and exploring because for me, exploring is where my cycle of learning begins.  When a course is “opened”, I explore the ideas and the topics before the week of learning begins; I always struggle with content and applicability and have worked at putting strategies in place to pace my efforts and save myself from discouragement over not knowing something; I ask a lot of questions – I write them down while I study, I ask in the discussions and I directly ask the instructor for specific feedback at times; I gain understanding; and at the end I know more than I did before.  I chose green to represent this concept as this is a growth pattern and a growth mindset that I choose to engage in.  Growth is green, in my mind.



This month I have learned how to more effectively use the CLB to inform assessment and evaluation which will help me set better objectives that may be clearly measured.  I have learned how to use assessment to focus on specific outcomes I would like the learner to achieve and I have come to a new understanding of the value of performance-based assessment, along with alternatives in assessment.  They both have benefits and limitations and it is important to be aware of both and learn how to use each of them, in the right circumstances.  I have re-discovered that I am a huge fan of authenticity and practicality in learning and that any assessments, either formative or summative, should use authentic language to support the authenticity of the content and the learner outcomes I am trying to achieve.  And, of marked interest to me is the discussion and attempts made toward developing rubrics based on sound evaluation principles.  I am excited about that, knowing that the learning circle above is ready to start again as I attempt to put into practice that which I have been learning.

Conclusion

While not fully satisfied with all the specific outcomes of my learning plan, I am satisfied with my effort and my increased knowledge.  I have thought about the applicability of this module daily – to the class outcomes, my work, and my life.  I think I have been building rubrics in my mind for many years in relation to many things and it nice to have a more robust picture of the theory behind the practice.  I am pleased that I have been able to scaffold my own learning from previous courses to support my development in this one.  Just because I have struggled, does not mean I have not been able to build on that which I already knew, into that which is supporting greater connections for me in the world of TESL.

References

Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks. (n.d.). English as Second Language for
      Adults. Toronto, ON: Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks. Retrieved from

Webb, S. (2017, April) Creating Effective Rubrics. Powerpoint presented at TESL Peel        Halton Etobicoke Conference, 2017, Mississauga, ON. Retrieved from 

Comments

Popular Posts