TESL 0120: Unit 4 - Lesson Planning, Differentiation, Listening, Reflections

At the culmination of any TESL module I am reminded that I know more now than I did before.  This TESL journey has been humbling in that I each module brings additional knowledge, but it also brings an awareness of my own lack of knowledge.

Our challenge for this unit included a focus on differentiation in building a lesson plan - that is, how do we support a group of similar level learners with potentially some outliers in the class?  How do we adapt a single lesson to support a multi-level classroom?  While I see this lived out in the workplace classes I am familiar with, I do not have personal experience that would lend to this knowledge, other than the volunteering I did in school when our children were young, and as I have observed and supported international staff through my work.  It was interesting to me that I felt that it was easier for me to support differentiation to higher levels in planning, but that I struggled with how to simplify concepts.  The exercise in taking a lesson and simplifying some concepts was helpful, and one of the best things about the teaching and TESL world is that so many are willing to share their ideas.  I cannot remember one time when I have reached out for help that someone has denied my request.  I rely on my PLN (Professional Learning Network) and their support and ideas.

Building the Lesson Plan

For this final unit in the module I decided against preparing an integrated lesson plan, and chose to focus on a listening lesson plan, which you can find on my Lesson Plans page in this blog.  I chose a listening lesson plan in part because it was recommended that we choose either listening or speaking, but not both, if we were new to lesson planning. I also have a specific interest in developing my understanding of how to support listening skills.  I found that the parameters around pre-, while-, and post- listening activities to be helpful, and in the development of the lesson plan I referred to the course notes and the articles from Unit 3 regularly to support the parameters of listening activities and assessment.  I know there are some weak areas in the lesson, but I am reminding myself that perfection is not the goal, learning is.  And, even if I would happen to make the perfect lesson, the class dynamic of any active class would likely require adjustment in real time.

My overall goal in TESL is to learn how to better support people who are seeking to develop their English language competence for effective living.  I want them to feel comfortable in knowing how to ask for a day off, in how to talk about medical concerns with a doctor, knowing how to speak to their children's teachers and navigate the school system, and in general be effective at daily life in Canada.  I appreciate the value of practical and useful learning and so the lesson plan I developed was to support the concept of "authenticity" in learning.  It is focused on real life needs, and effective understanding through development of listening skills.

Each step I take moves me closer to the close of this journey, and being a learner reminds me of how hard it is to be a learner.  While I gain knowledge, I also gain understanding and empathy for those who may be in the classes that I teach one day.  I hope you find useful ideas in the lesson plan I developed and if you have ideas or suggestions, please share them in the comments.

A quick "Thank you" to the PLN that supported me in major ways in this module - Neal, Crystal, Yael, and Jennifer.  Thanks for supporting my journey and allowing me to check in on ideas, and validate those ideas with real life experience in your classes.

Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts