TESL 0150: Unit 4 - Using Technology

When I started the TESL journey about one-and-a-half years ago, I had no idea what I was getting into.  The technology requirements of the fundamentals course were unexpected and overwhelming. By the end of the course I had engaged in different technology apps, sites, chats, conferences, video recording, and blogging.  Blogging turned out to be one of my favorite outcomes of that course.  I spent HOURS setting up the blog and the pages to make it look "nice".  I labelled the posts; figured out how to include images, links, and videos, all while trying to string coherent thoughts together about what I was learning.  I thought it would get easier after that.  That has not been the case for me.  I still struggle with the amount of content and realize that I cannot contain all the information that I am learning.  The vast expanse of the TESL world is amazing - it feels like a universe and that I am a tiny speck in it.

So, I have been trying, once again, to pick out those small pieces that I can cling to that indicate to me that I am retaining some of the concepts that I am learning.  And it turns out, I am.

At the beginning of the course we worked on concepts of copyright and I recently had the opportunity to show someone how to reference a quote for a company newsletter where credit was due and needed to be indicated.  I like my learning to be practical and having the opportunity to do that allowed me to reinforce my learning.  This week I updated the copyright on this blog to reflect what I think is a better form of copyright for the ideas and resources I am building in this process.  

Through the process of evaluation of resources, review of lesson components, and learning about the concepts of creation and adaptation of materials, I find myself applying the concepts at work.  My learning is being transferred.  In the past few days I have been taking shareable content from a presentation and adapting it for use in our environment.  I have spent several hours working with the material and having now transferred the data, I am working on:
  • Adding information, activities, images, video that will make it interesting,
  • Finding ways to support knowledge transfer,
  • Building in assessment,
  • Addressing the objectives effectively, and
  • Creating activities that will support the transfer of learning for the staff that I will be teaching about this topic. 
While I may not be in an EAL classroom (yet), I am actively taking what I am learning and transferring the knowledge to the work I do today.  While the concepts are not all intuitive as of yet, I am encouraged as this course draws to a close that I continue to make progress.  This is a reminder that as long as there is forward momentum, then I am hitting the target.  I am still becoming an EAL teacher, even if only one concept at a time.  It is about becoming.

While I am still becoming, this is a good reminder for me... 




References

Seuss, Dr. (Date Unavailable) [The Lorax "It's not about what it is" quote] 
Retrieved from 
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/35/35a7b69f213c1a2e29aba748dd2c4449440c2371f104aea3c5e8da579bd3f410.jpg

Comments

Popular Posts