Informed Eclectic...Again! – Unit 5 Reflections

In week three I was introduced to the idea of being an “informed eclectic”. I felt comfortable with that term and want to revisit it now in week five.

This week, we have been focusing on teaching methods. We have examined what they are, what they mean, how they are used, and the chronological history of when they came to be, within what I will term recent history.

It was relatively easy for me to understand most of the methods I read about and see how they might be used in the context of a current classroom. While I recognize that the methods are there, have names and identifying features, I think my goal would be to be “...both an informed and eclectic teacher...” (Brown & Lee, p. 18) so I “...think in terms of a number of possible pedagogical options at [my] disposal for tailoring classes to particular contexts.” (Brown & Lee, p. 18) That seems right and good to me.

As I explore this idea more, I think that I do not really have a choice in the matter – I have to be an informed eclectic. What does effectiveness as a teacher look like? Since fair is not equal (it is not with my children and it is not in the classroom), it means that whether or not I am comfortable or able to identify my method or methods, I need to recognize that I am using methods that will impact people. So, since it cannot be the same for everyone, and since situations change, somehow I have to be able to adapt so that I can teach fairly and effectively. Understanding and applying the various methods will help me do that.

As I was reading, I realized that I used these methods on myself when I went to college years (and years) ago! I listened to classical music to stimulate my mind when reading textbooks. Music without words helped keep me alert, but does not distract because there are no words that require focus. I still love Vivaldi's Four Seasons years later. This is reminiscent of “Suggestopedia” - a method where music helps to create a relaxed state of concentration for the learner. I recited relevant terms, committing them to memory as you would using the Classical Method or Grammar Translation Method. We had study groups – reminiscent of Community Language Learning; and used the Silent Way and Discovery Learning to uncover new ideas and truths for which we were engaged in contemplation and problem solving. And while I did not use Total Physical Response (that I can remember), I do remember seeing a project delivered through a choreographed dance number. There is an appropriate application of all methods, and the difficulty will be determining when and where to use the methods to achieve the outcomes you desire.

Then I wondered, that might be how I taught myself or impacted my own learning, but which methods have I used to teach others? Through parenting and coaching softball, I have regularly used the concepts of Total Physical Response. Sometimes you have to demonstrate physically what you want, and you verify learning by having it demonstrated back to you. Sometimes you let your children or ball players “figure it out” - that might be the Silent Way or Discovery Learning. We definitely used the Natural Approach – we are constantly looking for opportunities to use daily life or relevant moments in ball games to become teachable moments. I have employed the Classical Method, the Series Method, the Audiolingual Method.

So, where does this leave me? Well, at least in part, I am encouraged to use my intuition to plan and guide my teaching because I am doing these things anyway. Somehow, I am at least partly on the right path and that is comforting to know. The difference is now I understand the theory behind the practice, and that should help guide effectiveness. Knowing “what” is helpful. Knowing “how” takes practice. Knowing “why” is key. In learning more about the “why” this week, I think I have a good shot at being better at the “how” and the “what” in a classroom, in life. That is a good place to be in week five.


References

Brown, D. & Lee, H. (2015) Teaching by Principles: An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy. Upper Saddle River: Pearson

Comments

Popular Posts